An Adventure in Africa --- Reading (Ⅱ)
【课题】Module 2 Unit 2 An Adventure in Africa --- Reading (Ⅱ)
You’ll be able to:
1. memorize the important words and phrases correctly.
2. apply the language points in the given situations.
3. develop the group work to teach yourselves or your peers.
1. adventure → (adj.) 2. arrange → (n.)
3. protect → (n.) → (短语：在……保护下)
4. defence → (v.) 5. scare → (adj.)
6. tiring → (v.) → (adj.) 7. advance → (adj.)
8. uncomfortable → (反义词) → (v.)
9. 坐飞机去 10. 骑骆驼
11. 以防；万一 12. 提前，预先
13. 靠近 14. 即使
15. 把……吓跑 16. 在黑暗中
1.【原句再现】I’ve been quite busy arranging my holiday with my older brother.
vt. （含义）→ (n.)
2.【原句再现】A little way down the river from Lake Victoria, the water gets quite rough
1) A fishing vessel and a cargo ship collided in rough seas.
2) Your hand was rough but strong and warm.
3) At a rough estimate,
4) As we all know, the newly-elected president is having a rough time.
5) Look! The rough kids are running with amazing speed and strength.
3. 【原句再现】Since we’ll be working for almost two weeks, I’ll need to buy a large backpack in advance to carry my supplies of food and water.
1) 作n. 含义为 ① 前进，行进；② 进展，发展
2）作v. 含义为① 前进，行进；② 进展，发展 ③增加，提高④提前
(1) The tour’s advance is very slow due to the bad weather.
(2) Great advance in medical field has been made during the last few decades.
(3) They advanced to the city of Athens at a high speed.
(4) The date of our exam has been advanced.
(5) The research has advanced our knowledge of economy.
(1) To make sure that he was at home, I called him up in advance.
(2) Galileo's ideas were in advance of the age in which he lived.
4.【原句再现】You have to wear a helmet and a life jacket for protection, just in case you fall into the water.
1) I always take an umbrella to work with me in summer, just in case it rains.
含义为 ，引导 从句；
2）In case he comes, please let me know.
She stood to her teacher so that she could watch .(close/closely)
7.【原句再现】We’ll live with the local people in their villages, and eat and drink whatever they
do, including cow’s blood!
【句型剖析】whatever 是连接代词 :
(2) 引导让步状语从句 = no matter + what
Sarah hopes to become a friend of _____shares her interests.
A. anyone B. whomever C. whoever D. no matter who
8.【原句再现】During the day, we’ll walk across the land, following the tracks of wildlife…
【句型剖析】此处的分词做伴随状语, 因为follow 的逻辑主语是 ，存在
1) He came into the classroom, by the students. (跟着)
2) He came into the classroom, and . (唱着跳着)
用法归纳：分词的选择取决于主句的 。如主句的主语是动作的发出者，就选用动词的 形式表主动；主语是动作的承受者,就选用动词的 形式表被动。
a lot of damage to this area, the storm left.
A. Caused B. To have caused C. Having caused D. To cause
1. Those flowers are so special that I would do ___ I can to save them.
A. whatever B. no matter what C. whichever D. that
2. He sat ___ against the wall and listened to the teacher ___.
A. close; close B. closely; closely C. closely; close D. close; closely
3. A middle-aged woman came ___ to the bus stop only ___ the bus had gone.
A. to run; to find B. running; to find C. and ran; finding D. running; finding
4. The mother asked her son to his books on the shelves.
A. arrange B. organize C. settle D. throw
5. China hopes US president Obama’s visit to the country will Sino – US relations in an all round way.
A. promote B. advance C. progress D. proceed
6. I don’t think I’ll need any money but I will bring some_____.
A. at last B. in case C. once again D. in time
7. This book altogether 100 short stories, some by Mark Twain.
A. contains; including B. includes; containing C. contains; included D. includes; including